Sunday, December 8, 2013

What I've Learned From Ron Burgundy

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Ron Burgundy is everywhere and he's got my attention - big time!  Not the character, but the publicity campaign that borders on genius.  The efforts virtually guarantee a huge opening, as well as word-of-mouth that plants Anchorman 2 firmly in the consciousness of the target market.

In addition to the Dodge commercials, which technically don't count because they're spots, four recent initiatives got my attention.

1.  The trailer was emailed to me, directly from Ron Burgundy.  That the trailer was a great one was secondary.  As soon as I saw the name in my inbox, I smiled.

2.  Ron's appearance on that North Dakota newscast.  Overnight, the broadcast went viral, proving that big events can come from anywhere.

3.  His ESPN interview with Peyton Manning.    

4.  He opened the NFL pregame today with an analysis that was hilarious.  I didn't expect to see him, which only added to the enjoyment factor.

This latest effort has reinforced the importance of originality, especially when developing marketing and promotional campaigns.  True, there are few characters who have plugged into the sensibilities of media types like Ron Burgundy, but that's secondary.
 
By the beard of Zeus, I'm motivated to keep finding organic and entertaining ways to increase viewership, always making sure that it is unique to the brand.  Social media is key, of course, but isn't the only game in town.  Gotta think outside that cardboard receptacle.

So thanks for the push, Ron Burgundy.  We should have a scotchy scotch scotch together soon..

-Ed Roth
edrothshow@gmail.com
 

Subscribe below for e-mail updates

Follow us!

No comments:

Post a Comment