Thursday, May 30, 2013

College is Overrated

That's right...I said it.

I got my BA with a double major in Speech Communications (being able to speak) and English (my native tongue)...then compounded that madness with a Master's degree in Speech Communications (screenwriting).  I only have one question:

Why didn't anyone stop me?

While college was the best six years of my life, I'm not sure I came out any smarter than people who didn't go into college.

Here's what college is good for:
*  Learning how to play nicely with others
*  Playing and watching sports
*  Discovering subjects you didn't know existed
*  Building confidence
*  Time management
*  Dormitory pranks
*  Drinking
*  Meeting girls (or boys)
*  Getting a low-wage job after college

Here's what college is NOT good for:
*  Getting a low wage job out of high school
*  Understanding how the real world works
*  Getting into trouble due to not having enough to do
*  Learning what to do with all your free time


Don't get me wrong, I feel that getting a degree (or two) is crucial to succeeding.  Unless you work with your hands and have a truly useful skill (auto repair, construction, plumber or electrician), you definitely need a degree.  HR directors look at you like you have two heads if you don't have a degree.

But is your degree in something useful?  Did you spend four years just getting better at something you already knew how to do...like speak English.

Why didn't my parents insist that I take a course in business or accounting?  Why did they let me (a strong-willed 17 year-old) insist on majoring in broadcasting?  I could have learned how to operate a studio camera, be a floor manager or create cue cards as a business major.

I graduated as the outstanding senior in the speech department of Bowling Green State University that year.
Know what I knew how to do?  Be a disk jockey, push a studio camera, write copy and direct bad studio dramas and fake newscasts.

Could a trained chimp learn how to do this?

No matter where you choose to go, college has never been more expensive.  For my daughter's education,  I'm paying 25 times than what my parents paid for me to go to a college, but what can you do? 

Half the people who have worked for me were NOT majors in broadcasting.  I had an art director who was a music major.

The bottom line is that college is great to learn something you will love, but not necessarily something you already know how to do.  Psychology, English and speech are a waste (unless you're going to teach).  Computer science, math, chemistry, medicine, law and business.  Now, these are useful majors.

So, kids, don't go to college to fart around.  You'll have plenty of dates, drink plenty of beer and go to plenty of football or basketball games, no matter what your major.

Get some guidance from an adult who has made some mistakes, and learn something you don't already know.

You can learn a lot from a former floor manager (a job which doesn't exist anymore)...or a trained monkey.

--Rich Brase
rich@richideas.net

Subscribe below for e-mail updates

Follow us!

1 comment:

  1. Rich,
    I think it's all good advice. And spot on about "smarter" verses those that did not attend college.
    What we all forgot, or were never informed about, is that vocational training is as good or better in some cases as a college degree. Depending on what you see the college experience as a gateway to...used to be that only the very wealthy, and those of a scholarly nature, attended college. I suppose an argument could be that in many ways DeVry University is more apt and better equips someone today to learn a proper skill and make their way in the world on a practical level.

    ReplyDelete