Sunday, January 6, 2013

Episode 4: The Death of Promospeak


I've been accused of being a good copywriter (thanks, Al).  You couldn't say anything to me that would make me feel any better.  The fact is that not only to do I consider it the basis of all great marketing, but I'm proud to have walked in the shoes of those I've emulated--the great Paul Fey and Walt Jaschek of World Wide Wadio, John Miller's geniuses during NBC's heyday and the legendary Chuck Blore, who has mentored me for 25 years and frequently said of my copy "This is crap. You're better than this" when I started using Promospeak.

We all know what Promospeak is:
"The most experienced journalists."
"We've got _____ covered."
"On the air or on the go."
"Weather where you live."

Oh, I could go on all day.  I've even written some of this crap...years ago...before someone much better told me it was crap.  The fact is that cliches in promo copy, especially news copy, are cliches because a lot of us already wrote it years ago, and it may or may not be valid at your station.  It's just common practice to steal a word here and a word here.

Here in Portland, a creative director actually had the stones to write:  "Give us 60 minutes and we'll connect you to the world."  Seriously?  This was used by the CBS-owned radio stations back in 1960.   

I used to work with an announcer back in New Orleans (when the station had four staff announcers) who used to advise me that "when you don't know what to do, look at the network and copy that."  That was good advice then, when I seemed to be flopping and floudering for any great ideas I could find.

So, rather than beat your head against the wall to come up with a new phrase that sells the benefits of your newsteam doppler radar or investigative team, look for a good word or phrase on one of a number of great phrases from a spot.  This is what your news director wants.  He/she wants your spots to look like those on your consultants reel.  As a matter of fact, so does your consultant.

When I was at KGW, we knew our Olympic numbers would be massive every two years, so we really geared up with a 4-6 spot campaign of completely new spots, all very high concept.  Back in 2004, I was six or seven weeks away from the Games, but working on some really great stuff.  My producers and designers were really creatively firing on all cylinders.  I was in a meeting with News Director Rod Gramer, whom I had great respect for (as a journalist).   He asked "how is the campaign coming?"  I told him "Great.  We have some things that are really new and different."  Without blinking (and with no sense of irony), he said "I hate new and different."


I'll bet your news director has said (or thought this) at some time or other.  I'll bet your natural
inclination is to be as creative as you can.  You want to inspire and connect with your audience, while telling your audience about the power of your doppler, the reliability of your chief meteorologist or how your second and third screen connection is better than the rest.

But are you being held back by a GM, ND or consultant who wants just behind the scenes or file video cut to the same old copy?  It's a big club.  Glad I don't belong to it anymore.  But how do you fight back?

What they want:  More of the same.  File footage with wall-to-wall copy.   Killer footage of exclusive stories you broke six months or a year ago.

What you need to give them:  If you must use news footage, really team up with your art director to make the footage look different.  Even if he/she simply treats it, make sure you mix things up by including interesting SOT, sound effects, even some talent interviews.  Keep the copy short.

What they want:  Your talent on camera in each promo.
What you need to give them:  Talent shots and sound from them no longer than 3-4 seconds that you write.  Keep things moving, but not too fast that you irritate your audience.  Keep it interesting.  Wall to wall copy is the opposite of interesting.

What they want:  Copy pulled directly from the research:  "most honored," "most experienced""most dependable."  BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!
What you need to give them:  Words that reinforce what makes your viewers smarter, more assured, feel safer and part of something greater.  You know...how top notch marketers like Mercedes, Budweiser or even McDonald's do it.  Think a newscast has nothing to do with these three giants?  Think again.  No matter what you do, the most important thing is how your spot makes your viewer FEEL about your spot, not how much power your doppler has. 

One final thing--make sure your video off the top is the best you can find.  Forget news directors who say "I don't want to give away our best video." Nonsense.  No matter how much great video you give them, they think there's more, and will watch great video over and over.  Use you best stuff in your promo.

Remember, if you don't use it in the first three seconds, you'll be skipped in my DVR.  You have two seconds to wow me, then, you're gone.  Sorry, chump.

So, remember to take that old, tired copy and twist it to make it different.  Used to writing "experienced" about that tired, old newsteam who have no chemistry at all?  Instead, call them expert, seasoned, skilled and worldly and tell them how how they benefit from this skill.  Remember that your news audience is older and values people who are battle-tested, experienced and familiar.

In 1983, I was handed an ex-ABC field reporter as my next main anchor at WVUE-TV.  I came up with "A World of Experience" as a new campaign and feel that we really hit it out of the park.  All the spots included all the places he covered and how this benefited our audience.

Of course, with WWL having a 50+ share, I still got killed...but I was happy to be in second place with some creative that I still love and know cut through the clutter.

So, go forth and write something truly different today.  Be prepared to get pushback from people who will never understand marketing the way you do, but if you position it well and write some killer copy, this is a battle you can win, and must. You think Target, Budweiser, BMW and Nike is doing the same this year as last?   Why are you?

Promospeak must die.  It's up to you to help kill it!

NEXT:
EPISODE 5:  The Best Creative of 2012



Subscribe below for e-mail updates

Follow us!

No comments:

Post a Comment