Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Entrepreneur's Guide to Combatting Loneliness

I'm an entrepreneur.  I work with some great companies and non-profits to help them market themselves. It can be very exciting.

The entrepreneur assumes the position.
It can also be one of the loneliest things you can be, especially if you once worked in an office, complete with the daily buzz of a diverse work force, donuts in the break room, fun people to have lunch with and bosses to bitch about. 

You used to work in that world, but you decided (or had it decided for you) to leave and stalk out on your own.

You're sales manager, writer, designer and Chief Schmoozing Officer.  When you're taking meetings, producing a product, helping clients succeed and even picking up an occasional check, life is glorious.

But when all you do is send out e-mails, create proposals and prospect for business...it's the worst.

The fact is that being self-employed...like loneliness in general...can be a major health issue, as serious as smoking and obesity.  There are even studies that link loneliness and early death.  Let's face it--we're built to be social animals and not having clients or any social interaction can be devastating.

When you're starting to feel down, are in a losing streak or not generating a lot of income, here are five ways you might consider to kick-start yourself:

Want to meet for a drink before the temperance meeting?
1.  Call someone different every day.
We're living in the world of e-mails and texts, but talking to a neighbor or friend you haven't talked to in a while can relieve stress.   Make it a scheduled event for the end of the day, when things are winding down.  But, talk about anything except work.  You might even get a new idea or get help solving a problem without even talking about it.  Also, it will make you feel good.

2.   Work out.
I'm not the first one to tell you this and I could lose a few pounds myself, but if you've got a few hours and nothing going on, get off your butt and go for an hour-long walk with your iPod or go to the gym. 
If you can go with a friend, even better.  I'll bet you're not getting enough exercise, anyhow.

3.  Volunteer.
Take an evening a week...or even a month...to make a difference in someone else's life.  I love movies so I volunteer once a month a local non-profit movie theatre.  I get a rush out of popping corn and working the box office, plus I meet a lot of people I wouldn't normally meet.  No strain, no stress, but a Win-Win.

4.  Go out to lunch.
If you can go out with a friend, so much the better, but do NOT eat lunch at your desk when you're depressed.  You could take your sandwich and iced tea out to the deck, but better yet, go out to a park, your local Subway or anywhere there are people.  You'll be amazed how refreshed this one hour away from your desk can clear your head.

With friends like these...
5.  Join a club.
It's so easy to become isolated, working from your desk in the basement (your company's World Headquarters).  Join a running group, take a painting class or get involved in something other than business. 

Basically, get out there!!!  Do something different to change your routine.  I'm a big believer in Karma and that being busy makes you even busier.  Gaining a new friend gets you even more friends.

Working gets you more work.

Sitting alone in your company's World Headquarters get you...lonely and fat.

Now, let's have lunch.

--Rich Brase
rich@richideas.net


Subscribe below for e-mail updates

Follow us!

1 comment:

  1. Rich: I would only add one other, and that's to make sure you have an intimate connection with one other person. And I mean that literally. In my opinion, it must be truly intimate, and it must be limited to one.

    I, too, am an entrepreneur but happen to be an authentic introvert and replenish my energy from being alone. So while I don't experience any of the loneliness you describe above, it may be partly because I know that eventually, maybe not tonight or tomorrow night, but soon, I'll get to spend time with my best friend, my wife.

    I realize for most people this point might go without saying. But I think it's very possible for hardworking people to isolate themselves even from those under their own roof. So I think it's worth reiterating that it's vital we protect that relationship we have with the one person who'll be on our side when no one else is.

    ReplyDelete